Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Brother Sam is Dead

In the story, Sam joins the American Revolutionary Army because he feels that the colonists are taxed unfairly by the British. His father thinks that fighting over taxes is not worth the lives that will be lost. Sam claims he is standing up for a principle. Write about a time you stood up for something you believe in. Describe what you did and how it made you feel.

26 comments:

Noah Lee said...

I stood up for my brother once because people were teasing him.I did this because I care for my family and dont wont them to get hurt.

Mrs.Jacobs-Neda A. said...

One time I stood up for my little brother, Nima, because he was getting picked on,by my older cousin, Kia. I ran to Kia and started hitting and bitting him. I felt very angry at him, so I started punching him. When he stopped picking on my brother, he ran away.Then I was happy.

Elizabeth 25 said...

My mom and my sister were fighting over something and I knew my sister was right because I was there when the thing happened.(By the thing, I mean the incident that they were arguing about) I just told my mom that my sister was right and that I was right. My mom knows that I don't lie, so she believed me. I felt happy that my mom believed my sister.

Meera said...

When I stand up for something I believe, I feel like my friends think I'm weird. Sometimes I agree with things I don't believe so my friends won't think bad of me. Sam is very courageous to stand up to his father like that. He must have felt proud of himself to stand up for something he believed. Even though he was brave I still think it is wrong to stand up to your own father. I know I agree with things I don't believe, but Sam does and I admire that about him.

Joie said...

Once,I had a very good friend that got injured and bullied.I believe that no one should get bullied over just saying they wanted to be your friend.I didn't want to be a tattletale either.So I asked my friend,Beth,what had exactly happened,and she said that she went up to the new girl,asked if she wanted to be friends,and the girl ignored her and every time ever since,the girl would use any chance she could to trip or hurt Beth in any way.Of course she only did this when the teacher wasn't looking,so she never got caught.I wanted to ask for help,but I kept to myself instead.I saw that Beth did the same,as she looked very uncomfortable every morning when school had started.Then,I had a strong feeling to stand up for her, and not be a bystander.I confronted this girl,named Cheyanne,and she told me she felt lonely, and didn't want anyone to feel bad for her.I understood and explained this to Beth.Ever since I stood up for Beth, we three have been good friends until I came back to USA.

Muthu25 said...

I stood up for a friend when I was small. My brother thought that she played a trick on him but really it was his own fault. I stood up for because it is very bad to blame someone without having proof. On that day I felt proud because I had helped my friend.

joshua 25 said...

One time when i really wanted to play on the computer (since i'm only allowed to do so much) i bothered my mom until she said,"alright alright and she let me play on the the computer. when I was bothering her I did kind things trying to make her change her mind

Serena 25 said...

One time I stood up for something I believe in was when I wanted a friend to be nominated for a student council representative of the class, so I nominated her. Later, she won, and so did I, which was very surprising. I was glad that I was chosen, and to make things even better, I had a friend who was the representative! It could have been better, but I was only the back-up. It was alright though, at least I was picked. This may or may not be a good answer to the question, but I can’t think of anything else that would match.

WILLIAM25 said...

The time I once thought about helping a friend with a bully chasing him, my friend was being asked by the bully for money and my friend asked me for help. I told him how I would deal with the situation, and told him a few other ways of dealing with the problem, and told him to make his own decision. I felt pretty happy for helping a good friend out.

Alexandra said...

Once, I was at home and my mom let my sister do something but I never got to do it so I thought it wasn't fair. I became angry and didn't want to do anything except the thing that my sister was doing. I have heard many people say,"Life isn't fair", but I wish it was. I felt very sad that I wasn't allowed to do and bored because I had nothing else left to do.

Janelle said...

I stood up for what I believed in when my parents told me I might need to go to a private school because they knew how high school was because of my sibling. I didn't want to go to a private school because I would miss my friends, not get to go to Redwood,where I want to go,and a lot more. I told my parents some of the reasons because they wanted reasons why I shouldn't go to a private school. It was time for school, so the conversation ended. I was scared because I don't want to go to a private school again.

Sam said...

A few times, I stood up for being good to the nature and to all of the animals in the wild. As I stood up for them, I felt determined to stand up for nature and the animals and sad for though we think food is good, most of them came from the animals especially the meat and the seafood. The more determined I got, I became more and more confident about standing up for nature and all of the animals.

Aaron said...

One day I was playing a baseball game. We were up by 4 runs. In the 5th inning, the other team started scoring like mad because our pitcher kept walking batters.We eventually lost by 4 runs. At the end, I felt like our team won but there was a little sadness in my mind. I felt this because we were winning near the end of the game. I told my dad about it and even my teaammates. They didn't look sad but they did at the end of the game. I felt that we won skillfully. I wasn't really that sad.

Noah Lee said...

I once stood up for my brother when he was getting teased. I stood up for him because I believe in him that he will one day male a great person. I also love and care for my sibilings no matter the curmcumstances. I also don't like seeing people being hurt emotionally and physically.

Katie said...

I hate going to Chinese school! I've always tried telling my parents that it's not worth going to, but they never listen. I've tried debating, but my parents think my arguments aren't important. I don't see how theirs are! Nothing works with my parents about going to Chinese school. It makes me angry when I think about it. It's annoying spending the afternoon at Chinese school every day. I wish I didn't have to go.

Mark Guidry 25 said...

I think every kid should be able to relax on a weekend. I think that because after a week of school I think you should be able relax instead of doing chores and having stress. I had to stand up against my Mom to relax on a weekend and she said “I don't want my child to sit around all day watching TV." So I had to go outside but it was still relaxing to walk around the neighborhood. When I argued against my mom I felt bad because I didn't want to get in trouble and I didn't want to hurt her.

Bradley 25 said...

Once, when I got teased and pushed to the floor by some bullies, they thought it was the right thing to pick on kids like me (they were Middle schoolers, I was a 4th grader) because I was short and small. So they started daring me to do digusting things by taking my stuff to get them back. I standed up against their mean actions and believed it was right to just take my stuff back and play somewhere else. Later, they changed their minds about bullying me.

DEREK CHIOU 25 said...

I once stood up for that I did not have to practice piano. After winning the argument, it felt great that I won the argument. But, when my mother and father get into an argument, I am not sure who I should side with, so I usually just stay out of the argument

Satvik said...

In the book, My Brother Sam is Dead, Sam really felt passionate toward his feelings about the British (lobsterbacks). He knew that the colonists deserved liberty. Similarly when the topic of tree conservation arouse in a conversation with a friend we had different opinions. He stated that even though cutting down trees is harmful to the society, wood and paper are very important resources to mankind. I thought for a moment and concluded that as important that those might be, abuse of this natural extraordinaire may result in earning a few hundred dollars, but it also slowly decreases the Earth’s oxygen supply. I too felt about this topic just like Sam, and just like Sam chose to fight the patriots (rebels), I should take the next step and donate to an organization that helps save trees.

Gabriel 25 said...

Once, I stood up for my swimming team and helped them win. I felt good that we won and felt proud.

Arian said...

When I was in second grade I strongly believed that our family should get a dog. My dad and brother protested. My brother was terrified of dogs and jumped onto tables when he met one, and my dad didn't appreciate the idea of fur lying all around our house. My dad and brother absolutely refused, but my mom and I were relentless. No matter how much we argued our opinions stayed the same. In the end we came up with a compromise that benefited all of us.

Esha 25 said...

One time I stood up for something I believed in, was when I tried out for student council. This time was last year. I was determined to win and gave a speech in front of the school. After my speech, everyone clapped and I was really happy. I remember I was really nervous to know the results, but when the principal said my name, I was extremely glad. It all wasn't easy, but I worked hard for it, just like Sam does.

Kaitlyn said...

A long time ago, I stood up for myself because my mom wanted me to quit gymnastics. I had a passion for it, and my dream was to go to the Olympics and win a gold medal. I was getting pretty good at it, and I didn't want to quit. I had no power against my mom and she made me quit anyway. After about two years, she finally gave in. I think she was getting pretty annoyed about how I kept asking her if I could start again. After I started gymnastics again I felt happy and accomplished because I started gymnastics again, and I stood up for myself. This is the time about how I stood up for myself.

Ruchi said...

I stand up for my sister a lot. I stand up for her when ever she is unhappy or if someone is mad at her. I fight for what my sister is trying to prove. When I stand up for my sister, it makes me feel proud to be helping someone and fighting for what I believe.

Kami said...

I once stood up for my dog Sugar because she did something wrong and my parents wanted to punish her. I told my parents that sugar is just a dog and she doesn't know any better. I made me feel very proud of myself for standing up.

Brian 25 said...

I feel that Sam did the right thing to stand up for his principles. Because of this we are living in this wonderful free state. Once I stood up for a problem in math, the answer in the teacher's textbook was incorrect and everyone said that it was correct. Then I proved it on the whiteboard and everybody started to understand that I was right and there was a typo in the teacher's textbook. After that situation I felt that I done something correct and I felt happy that I stuck to it even though everyone said that it was wrong.