As you read about Matt’s struggle to interest Attean in reading, you may be reminded of similar situations in your own life. Perhaps you, like Matt, have tried to get a reluctant learner interested in some project or new skill. Or, perhaps, like Attean, you have been forced into learning something that you thought was of no value to you.
Good readers naturally use their own prior knowledge to help them understand a character’s response to a situation. At this point in the story, with whom do you sympathize more - Attean or Matt? What experience of your own helps you to understand what that character is going through?
26 comments:
I think that I am more like Attean because sometimes I have to read a book in school and it is very boring. I never want to read it but I have to, though that rarely ever happens. I would have to sit through a whole class of reading the book and I might almost fall asleep! I don't have many experiences about Matt.
wow Alex. first one...
I think I'm more like Matt because I understand how hard it is to explain things that you know already to someone else. Like I know how to do it but I just can't explain it in my own words, but I find a way to solve it at the end. Another thing is that sometimes I get embarrassed of the things I do, but not very often. With Attean we almost have nothing in common!
I think I am more like Matt because it is hard for me to get someone to use my ideas and like them. Sometimes when I am trying to get someone to understand what I am saying, the person will get all confused.
I think i'm more like Matt because I find it hard teaching things to other people. For example: I had to teach my younger cousin brother how to multiply and divide, I know how to do but it's so hard explain it in my words. I have more sympathy for Matt because he's trying so hard for Attean to like him and he's teaching him too. i have no experience of Attean's situation.
I think I am more like Attean because when my sister is teaching me something, it is something that is really boring and has nothing to do with me.
I think I am more like Matt because when someone teaches me a physical activity I always am a klutz until I practice a lot. When Meera taught me how to do a cartwheel I always fell down. Finally after two years I got it. Matt is similar to me when he started using his bow, but with practice he got better. The next time Veda and Meera were teaching me to do a handstand and the same thing happened.
I feel more like Matt because it is very hard to teach someone and they don’t get it at all. Once I told this person in my class an idea and I thought it was pretty good. She just told me we shouldn’t do it. I still kind of see her point of view because I have been taught math and just don’t get it.
I think I am like Matt and Attean. When I am teaching my brother cursive, he always wants to do something else, like drawing. I think it is very hard for him to learn it. I think I am like Attean because sometimes it is very hard for me to do something, like math when it is hard and I don't understand.
I feel like Attean sometimes because it is hard to learn something that you have never learned before. Learning to read is a very hard process. I know how to read but I was talking about other skills. I am like Matt because I know it is very hard to teach something to a person that knows nothing about it. It’s hard to put it in your own words when you know something. But with practice you get it. That is how I am similar to both of them.
I think I am more like Attean because my experience with chinese class when I was young helps me understand how Attean is feeling. When I was young, going to Chinese class made me feel like I was forced to go. But, I now know that Chinese class helps even though it may be painful.
I think that I am like Attean and Matt. I think that I am like Attean because once a friend of my sister’s came, and told me how to do an activity to find out something. I thought that it was quite pointless so I left her with my sister and got a book to read. That only happened once. Other times I feel more like Matt when I went with my partner to meet with our kindergarten buddy at the library. All Kendra, (our kindergarten buddy) wanted to do was to look at the pictures in the book while I was kindly trying to read and teach her the words she didn’t understand. I would sympathize with Attean because although I haven’t had an experience exactly like that, I have a good idea of how it would feel if I were forced to do something against my will.
I think I'm more like Attean because I rarely teach people stuff. I am forced to go to a writing class. I think it's a waste of time. I hate it and the things I learn there, I've already learned!!!!I'd rather do other work than go to this bad writing class!!!!!!!! Also, I'd rather run 4 laps!!!!!!!
Well I think that I'm a little bit like Matt and a little bit like Attean because I understand how Attean doesn't get some of the words that Matt reads. Because sometimes I feel like that, but I'm also like matt because I like to help people that are in a situations like this.
I think I am more like Attean.I don't like Chinese school and I feel like it's the most boring thing I have ever done.I have to teach younger kids in my mother's class sometimes, but they enjoy listening to me. This makes me feel like Attean a lot.
I am more like Attean as there are a few subjects I do not like to learn. As I have never taught something automaticly Matt is out of thee question. One thing I have been taught against my will is math with my tutor. I do not like the lessons, yet my parents make me. I have a very Attean-ish attitude
I think I am more like Attean because I am forced to go to Chinese school every afternoon, every day. My dad says it's going to be good for me someday, but I don't see how.It's so boring, and it tortures me so much! It would be very helpful if I can use the extra time to do my homework. I wish I can secretly walk home instead, but there's no getting out of that dungeon of a school. I HATE CHINESE SCHOOL!!!
I think I'm more like Matt because I enjoy helping people. Though I may get frustrated I still enjoy it because I'm teaching someone something new. I help my brother with homework and sometimes teach him something new.
I think i am more like Attean because i get fored into stuff like in school reading a book that i already read and i dont like to read it again or it is a book that is really boring but normally that doen't happen alot. but I am alittle bit like Matt because I get draged into teaching my cousin from Tiwan English and I think it's really hard beacause i don't know if they really under stand it or if they don't understand it at all and don't tell me but the only good thing about it is that i get to learn some Chinese as well.
I think that I am more like Matt. This is because I teach some people things, but is can be very frustrating. For instance, once I had to teach some people how to do the Rubik's Cube. It is actually very hard to explain. And I also didn't like wasting my time on that stuff. That is why I think I am more like Matt.
I think I'm more like Attean because my mom always forces me go to Chinese school even though I really don't want to. I always get forced into doing stuff like playing violin and lots of other things. I don't think I'm like Matt because I have never really taught someone how to do something. Someone has always taught me.
I think I am more of an Attean because I do not like learning. It is so boring. My mom forces me to do two whole hours of listening to my Chinese teacher start talking away. Sometimes, I could fall asleep when I listen to her talking. I do not think I’m like Matt because Matt had to all day either do chores, or it is teaching Attean. In addition, it usually takes up almost the whole day. On the other hand, Attean has like nothing to do. All he does all day is play, explore, and hunt. This is why I think I am more like Attean, not Matt.
I think I am more like Attean. Atean is energetic and is reluctant from learning the English language from Matt. Likewise, when I was learning piano I was not full-heartedly playing. On the contrary, I am also like Matt who has trouble teaching Attean. When I have to teach my brother new things He refuses to learn things that he has already set his mind to. Matt and Attean have differences, but I think they get along pretty well. Therefore, I am a bit like Attean and Matt.
I sympathize more with Matt. I think that Matt was looking forward to having a motivated student. Attean isn’t patient and thinks that learning a white man’s words is useless. I have had experience with teaching an unwilling student. I explained to the person about something in math and the person only got more confused! That person, and many other people, did not care about learning and the teachers feelings. I also sometimes find it hard to teach some things to some people.
I think I am more like Attean. Attean has some skills in teaching Matt instead of Matt teaching him. That is because Attean is stubborn for learning to read. This summer, my Mom taught me a lot of Math techniques that we’re doing right now in Mrs. Jacobs class, for example: 45-R=40. R=5. When I find out that our class is learning something that I already know, I get bored at being forced to finish that math assignment. This situation happens a lot in Writing, Spelling, Science, and even reading! I am not really similar to Matt, and don’t have any similar situations that are related to Matt.
Post a Comment